Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & INFO on BATTLE L.A.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM MEMBER DISCUSSION of BATTLE L.A.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM MEMBER DISCUSSION of BATTLE L.A.
    Posted: March 06 2011 at 11:15am
HERE YA GO -- HAVE AT IT, FOLKS!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 11:47am
This one could either succeed or fail. I have nothing to base a prediction off of for this film except for Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) on the director's resume.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags. 22; A Dame to Kill For. Ags 29; Jessabelle
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 1:38pm
Well, yeah, this is by the dude who directed a prequel to a remake ... HOWEVER, this is movie without Michael Bay being in the dude's ear. So like GTAHater, I'm on the fence with this one. If it ends with dolls acting how the rest of the movie would have been had they not run out of money, then yeah, they have a problem.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 4:07pm
This is good,right?I mean really not knowing if this will be good or bad?

The only fact is that Michelle Rodriguez said she's tired of playing a butch girl.Well...why did she choose those roles then?Now she plays an army woman.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 4:15pm
Aaron Eckhart has showed us in the past he's a solid lead. Michael Peńa is a good actor. Michelle Rodriguez too (except when it comes to picking movies).Don't know about Bridget Moynahan's skills, but I heard good comments on Joey King in RAMONA & BEEZUS. All I know about Lucas Till is that he was in HANNAH MONTANA:THE MOVIE.

You already mentioned how director Jonathan Liebesman gotRazzed. Meanwhile,writer Christopher Bertolini also wrote THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER. 

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 4:33pm
What about the fact that the singer Ne-Yo (Who sang Ms Independent and co-sang (if that is even a word) with Kanye West and Keri Hilson on Knock You Down) is in this movie?
Originally posted by Vits

Aaron Eckhart has showed us in the past he's a solid lead.Michael Peńa is a good actor.Michelle Rodriguez too,except when it comes to picking movies.Don't know about Bridget Moynahan's skills,but I heard good comments on Joey King in RAMONA & BEEZUS.All I know about Lucas Till is that he was in HANNAH MONTANA:THE MOVIE.

You already mentioned how director Jonathan Liebesman got razzed.Meanwhile,writer Christopher Bertolini also wrote THE GENERAL'S DAUGTHER.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 4:38pm
Oh! I didn't notice! Well,believe it or not, more than half the rappers who have tried to become actors have succeeded, mainly because they know how to express their feelings through the lyrics. Except he's more R&B...
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 5:33pm
I've been really wanting to see this since i saw the first trailer, so i really hope it doesn't suck. I loved the action scenes in Black Hawk Down, and Independence Day is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, so a fusion between the 2 i think would make for a very solid and entertaining movie.

However that being said this does have some major red flags, mainly in the form of the director. the only movies he's done are Darkness falls, The Texas chainsaw massacre: The Beginning, and a straight to dvd movie starring Nick Cannon, not to mention a screenwriter who wrote the movie "The Generals Daughter"

Hopefully this movie will break the trend of sh*tty alien invasion movies and give us something new, cause if it doesn't,  (cracks knuckles) "Assume the position"
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 7:38pm
I imagine a lot of critics are gonna compare this one to Skyline.  The only real indicator that this thing might fail (other than a considerably low Tomatometer rating) is if they start calling it 'This Decade's Battlefield Earth'.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 7:49pm
The "Skyline" comparison is nothing out of the norm. These things can happen, two movies with identical themes open in theaters within a few months of each other, and the second movie to be released is automatically compared to the first, even though one of the movies might be vastly superior to the other. Hopefully, this movie won't follow that trend and actually be good.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 8:04pm
Because the girl needs to eventually make money some how (that would explain "BloodRayne"), and butch girls are what she does best. I'm also guessing that those are probably the only roles the studio heads are willing to give to her. I mean, can you really see her starring in a rom-com?  

The only fact is that Michelle Rodriguez said she's tired of playing a butch girl.Well...why did she choose those roles then?Now she plays an army woman.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 3:10am
Maybe if it was like, ah- actually, I probably shouldn't say it, 'cause then studio execs would make it and then it'd win a whole bunch of Razzies.  

The fact is that Michelle Rodriguez said she's tired of playing a "butch" girl. Well, then...why did she choose those roles? And now she's playing an army woman??
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 8:34am
Do you know what else is a contributing factor to this being a possible Razzie contender? The fact it is rated PG-13 in the US (12A in the UK*), and as we all know PG-13 rated action movies are normally a target for critical panning (there have been cases where some PG-13 rated action movies were acclaimed).

*Though sometimes (in the cases of 'Drag Me to Hell', 'True Grit', 'Die Hard 4.0' and various others) we do give films rated PG-13 in the US a '15' certificate over here.
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 2:55pm

The article linked below talks about Sony's legal action against the Strause brothers (who themselves created the FX for Battle L.A.) for ripping off ideas and equipment from the Battle L.A. script and using them in Skyline.

Skyline may be more or less a near-direct ripoff of the very movie coming out this weekend.  

http://flicksided.com/2010/08/battle-los-angeles-vs-skyline-in-the-court-room/ 

To quote the Wikipedia article:

"Sony Pictures suspects the Strause brothers created their own Los Angeles-based alien invasion film Skyline, which will compete with the Battle: Los Angeles release, by using resources they had gained while working on Battle: Los Angeles without the consent of Sony Pictures."  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

The "Skyline" comparison is nothing out of the norm. These things can happen, two movies with identical themes open in theaters within a few months of each other, and the second movie to be released is automatically compared to the first, even though one of the movies might be vastly superior to the other. Hopefully, this movie won't follow that trend and actually be good.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 3:13pm
Berrynoia, So... does this mean that Battle: LA will kind of be following the same storyline as Skyline?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 3:59pm
Say what?! No one ever told me movies can get sued for ripping-off other movies! Both SKYLINE and BATTLE L.A. should be sued for ripping-off INDEPENDENCE DAY. And while I'm at it, I have a list of movies to sue about that includes 70% of ALL current movies.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>