Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > POLL: How Will ROCKY BALBOA End??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How Will Sly End ROCKY BALBOA??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which of These Choices Reflects How YOU Think ROCKY BALBOA Will End??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[6.45%]
[6.45%]
[29.03%]
[25.81%]
[32.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Will Sly End ROCKY BALBOA??
    Posted: December 04 2006 at 3:53am

ONCE YOU'VE VOTED, FEEL FREE TO POST ANY THEORIES YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT HOW ROCKY XVII  WILL END. HERE IS MINE...

I've been joking to friends for weeks now that, if ROCKY BALBOA has a realistic ending, the 60-year-old punch-drunk pugilist will DIE in the last scene (he was supposed to die at the end of ROCKY V, but Stallone changed his mind during shooting). In all seriousness, I have been trying to figure out just how Duh Sly Guy will resolve the plot this time -- Absolutely no one will believe a sexagenarian KO-ing a young, current champion.  Late last night, it came to me: I'll bet even money that, since this sequel is supposed to "get back to the roots of the character," Stallone will have Balboa barely manage to last 15 rounds against "Mason (The Line) Dixon" and claim it as a "moral victory." It's a total rip-off of the ending from the original ROCKY, but the way Stallone thinks, I'm sure he assumes, since #1 was the only ROCKY movie almost everyone liked, if he's gonna rip himself off, he may as well rip-off his own most successful effort... 

YOU MAY ALSO JOIN OUR POST-RELEASE DISCUSSION of ROCKY BALBOA with THIS LINK...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
#1 Sly Fan View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1 Sly Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 3:58am

You guys just WISH Rocky would die, cuz you hate Stallone so much. Regular folks like me (and million of others) hope Rocky lives FOREVER. He is one of the great characters in all of movie history, and deserves to be immortal...

Response from Head RAZZberry: Sorry, #1 Sly Fan, but you've got it wrong. We don't hate Stallone at all. He's managed to entertain us, amuse us -- and give us RAZZIE Fodder -- for more than two decades now...

YO: Quit Pickin' on Stallone!!
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 4:02am
The only realistic ending would be for Balboa to die in the ring. But given what a golden goose Rocky has proven to be for the minimally talented Stallone, I seriously doubt that's how it will end. I voted in agreement with head RAZZberry above -- I bet Sly rips-off Rocky I one more time...
Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 4:20am
I say it's long past time to KILL HIM OFF -- Thus putting both Stallone and US out of our 30-year-long misery!!!
Everything SUX!
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 7:03am

I voted the "Rocky Will Survive 15 Rounds, Just Like in the First ROCKY" my reasons for this is posted on another part of forum.

To #1 Sly Fan, as we told you before, we don't hate Stallone, we just wish he would stop force feeding us his garbage and do the right thing for once.

The "Networking IT" Movie Buff!

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 9:19am
While having The Rock die in the ring (or immediately after) may be an interesting angle to take, I think something similar to, but not a carbon copy of, the first one (where he takes a REAL whipping but survives till the end) might be the best option. After all, best to keep him around for the next one, where he's Earth's only hope against the worst boxing alien in the galaxy (or whatever Sly concocts next)... 
#1 Sly Fan View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1 Sly Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 10:02am

So, like, what are guys planning to do when Rocky Balboa eventually out-grosses Mission Impossible III...or maybe even Pirates of the Caribbean 2?? 

YO: Quit Pickin' on Stallone!!
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 10:25am

In response to #1 Sly Fan's prediction that ROCKY BALBOA will out-gross this year's #1 movie, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN II, here's an interesting list -- The grosses on all five previous ROCKY films, taken from Box Office Mojo:

ROCKY* (1976)          $117,235,147

ROCKY II  (1979)               $85,182,160 

ROCKY III (1982)             $125,049,125 

ROCKY IV* (1985)         $127,873,716 

ROCKY V* (1990)              $40,946,358 

* Best Picture Oscar Winner 

* Worst Picture RAZZIE Nominee 

Just to drive home my point -- Anyone notice a trend between ROCKY IV and ROCKY V? With only five years between those two films, ROCKY V grossed less than 1/3 of what ROCKY IV did. And that's now 16 YEARS AGO...I'll wager here and now that ROCKY BALBOA will barely make the Top Five at the box office opening weekend, that it fades away quickly, and eventually grosses about $50 million, domestic. It might do better foreign, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 2:53pm
Seriously, I'm too stunned to even vote. I'm still reeling from when I first saw the trailer.

What IS the deal? Are some so wealthy or powerful, and so out of touch that making a movie like this predestined piece of excrement seems like a good idea?

"Sure, Sly, it can't lose!"
"Yeah, what a winner! A return to your roots!"
"America loves Rocky, you'll see!"

I got an idea . . . let's burn down all the cocktail napkin factories, so
that from now on, all ideas like this will be stillborn . . .

Failing the gag reflex . . . .
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 4:48pm

I voted for the AARP to step in and hault this travesty, knowing full well it's a pipedream. Nonetheless, I agree fully with Head Razz's assessment. I think this one will gross somewhere in the $50-$100 million range, WELL below Pirates II and altogether unremarkable.

Beyond the hard-core Stallone fans, and sorry #1 Sly Fan, there really aren't that many of you, neither Stallone nor his Balboa character are going to be a signficant draw for younger audiences, who are far and away the largest movie going demographic. Wild guess here; the younger people who see this movie aren't going to be pulling for the old guy.

Oh...btw...the bout can't go 15 rounds. Once upon a time, all championship bouts went 15, but sometime around the early 80's (if memory serves correct...I haven't paid much attention to boxing for several years) the major sanctioning agencies agreed that no bout should go beyond 12 rounds, out of consideration for the safety of the participants.

On the other hand, Stallone might well boot that detail too, and yet another reason will emerge to trash this one.

Response from Head RAZZberry: I found the following in the Wikipedia entry for BOXING, which substantiates your point about the standard now being 12 rounds rather than 15:

Main article: Professional boxing

"Professional bouts are far longer than Olympic bouts...the championship limit of 12 rounds has existed since the late 1980's when it was shortened from 15 rounds in an effort to increase fighter safety)..."

The UP Side of all this: If it is only 12 rounds, that means ROCKY BALBOA may be a shorter film!

Response from Saturnwatcher: After reading down that article, it appears that the death of a boxer on a nationally televised bout in 1982 was indeed a catalyst for the shortening of bouts, but as with everything else in the good ole USofA, cash considerations played a role as well. A 12 round bout can be televised in one hour, while a 15 round bout will consume an hour and a half and the networks evidently weren't enthused about continuing to invest that much time into a slowly dying sport. Similarly, some of us aren't that interested in investing in Stallone's dying movie career, at least until it hits the bargain theaters.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
fan of 30 years View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 1:50am

I HOPE (though am realistic in not expecting it) Rocky Balboa does well at the box office.  However, IF Saturn, IT, and the others are right....I will take great pleasure in watching this movie several times through the holidays.  I completely understand that people have different likes and dislikes... This man, this character, this movie, is definitely in my like catergorie, and just as I have given up trying to sway opinions, I know that opposing opinions will never change my mind.  

My anticipation for the release of RB is that of no movie ever before.  I have a feeling that the character will die after winning the fight, but hope that he doesn't.  I am not asking for the possibility of another Rocky, I just don't want to deal with the death (yes, I know it is a fictional character) of someone that has meant so much to me.  That happens in real life, but this is one of those times it doesn't have to happen.

Your gonna eat lightnin' and crap thunder
ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 2:31am

Fan of 30 Years, After your eye-opening post above, I did some re-thinking of my cruel statement. I apologize for what I said previously. I will downgrade what I put in the other part of the forum to "having Rocky pass out on the canvas and being sent to a nursing home as soon as Dixon breathes on him when he enters the ring" instead. I lost someone very precious to me around this time last year and I do not wish that on someone whether the person is real or fictional.

Now to something that will bring a smile to your face (and a boo and hiss from just about everybody else from this forum) I will be picking up the 2 Disc DVD of the original Rocky with the restored footage that has never been seen, which was just released. This should really be of no surprise to anybody who knows me in this forum: I have stated on more than 1 occasion that I did love the 1st two movies in the franchise. 

Originally posted by fan of 30 years

I am not asking for the possibility of another Rocky, I just don't want to deal with the death (yes, I know it is a fictional character) of someone that has meant so much to me.  That happens in real life, but this is one of those times it doesn't have to happen.

Words to live by:
"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
fan of 30 years View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote fan of 30 years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 5:37am

Thanks IT for the consideration.

P.S. check your email...

Your gonna eat lightnin' and crap thunder
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 4:01pm
I voted that Rocky Will KO Mason Dixon, cause he always wins. He will get
him at the very end of the 15th round after Rocky hears the voice of
Burgess Meredith.

You got to admit it don't get any cheesier than that!
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 4:39pm

Why go with just the voice?  Occasionally I've had a dream about this picture wherein two unknown guys break open Mickey's crypt, haul his by now long rotted corpse down to their dive on Island Avenue, dump the body into a tub of lime caltrate for about 11 hours or so, revealing through Info-Dumps that they're Hardcore Rock-a-Holics who feel the Mickster should be there for his protégé's final go-round.  This includes also painting his skin peachish, dumping talcum powder all over him just to be sure, then getting Mickey into an over-sized trench coat and dark glasses and drive him to the ring, where, with that hand wires attached to his legs, wrists, and neck, he can be brought to life as need be.  As said, Rocky sees Mickey in the crowd, and after an initial "Dya, whotta this mean?" thought process nails his opponent to the rug.  That's all...for this one. 

"Acid rain...drug addiction...international terrorism...freeways killers...now more than ever it is important to remember the true meaning of Christmas.  Don't miss Charles Dickens's immortal classic Scrooge.  Your life might just depend on it." 

ITbeast View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote ITbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 4:09am

AT least you have a bargain Theater to see movies that you do not want to pay full price to see at, The last bargain theater that was within local driving distance died out here 3 months ago, I think that Bargain Theaters are going the wayside like your theory about the networks cutting back on a dying sport and Stallone's career. 

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Response from Saturnwatcher: After reading down that article, it appears that the death of a boxer on a nationally televised bout in 1982 was indeed a catalyst for the shortening of bouts, but as with everything else in the good ole USofA, cash considerations played a role as well. A 12 round bout can be televised in one hour, while a 15 round bout will consume an hour and a half and the networks evidently weren't enthused about continuing to invest that much time into a slowly dying sport. Similarly, some of us aren't that interested in investing in Stallone's dying movie career, at least until it hits the bargain theaters. 

Words to live by:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>