Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Events, Announcements & Activities > POLL: How Will ROCKY BALBOA End??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How Will Sly End ROCKY BALBOA??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which of These Choices Reflects How YOU Think ROCKY BALBOA Will End??
Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[6.45%]
[6.45%]
[29.03%]
[25.81%]
[32.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CDNDestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Will Sly End ROCKY BALBOA??
    Posted: January 19 2007 at 3:07pm
I actually really enjoyed Rocky Balboa.  I don't know why everyone expected this film to bomb horribly other than pulling the "Stallone is old" excuse.  Age sometimes allows actors to grow experience.  It's been 16 years since Rocky V, the stink is long gone and Stallone finally gets a chance to conclude what he started.

Yes, Stallone acting career has sucked horribly but Rocky is one of the few roles he could do well because it's really just an extension of his real-life self.

They concluded the series, ended it on a good note (which Rocky V tried to do and failed) and left it as such.  I couldn't have expected any more.

Looking forward: Rambo IV could be one of those films that could be horribly incredible or incredibly horrible.  I can't wait.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 4:45pm

Why did we expect Rocky to be bad? Stallone's track record was a launching point for speculation. As for Rocky being an extension of Stallone's "real life self," PLEASE! Rocky may represent some extension of Stallone's ideal vision of himself, assuming that he actually does aspire to some status lower than Zeus. But Rocky wasn't a terribly admirable human being, at least by any standard I'd choose to admire. And, frankly, neither is Sly...

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 4:54pm

If the defining question of the topic were altered slightly, to say, "How will Rocky Balboa end?" the answer might finally be, "largely ignored."

Its box-office numbers weren't disastrous; as of January 18 it had pulled in $66 million domestic, and will probably tack on another 5 to 10 million before it ends its run, about exactly what we predicted. What has been curious has been its complete lack of appeal in foreign markets. It has only pulled about $10 million overseas. Compare that to You, Me and Dupree, a very different movie, but with comparable domestic numbers. It ended its domestic run in the mid-70 million range. Its foreign take was around $55 million. Evidently Rocky's appeal is strictly an American phenomenon, and not, these days, a strong one even here.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
CDNDestroyer View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote CDNDestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Why did we expect Rocky to be bad? Stallone's track record was a launching point for speculation. As for Rocky being an extension of Stallone's "real life self," PLEASE! Rocky may represent some extension of Stallone's ideal vision of himself, assuming that he actually does aspire to some status lower than Zeus. But Rocky wasn't a terribly admirable human being, at least by any standard I'd choose to admire. And, frankly, neither is Sly...

I will not deny that Stallone's acting career has ranged from wretched to laughable and he has not been a good actor.  But the Rocky role always seemed to click for him because it didn't demand too much from him.  He just had to show up and be himself, which was what I was referring to when I said "real-life self", which any of us could do.

Rocky was not a terrible admirable character, that was the entire point.  He was just a regular guy who meant well but was a bum.  He was called up to an extraordinary opportunity to prove himself, he didn't expect to win just not back down.

Remember: Stallone came up with the idea/script for the Rocky film and it was actually really good.  Now that he's been out of the acting spotlight for many years and gotten older, I feel he's been humbled a little bit to the point where he just wanted to properly conclude the series he started.  I don't view it as a vanity project for Stallone because I never saw it that way.  It was just a proper conclusion after the disaster that was Rocky V.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 5:07pm

Rocky was not a terrible admirable character, that was the entire point.  He was just a regular guy who meant well but was a bum. 

I believe it was Abraham Lincoln who once quipped, "God must love common people, because he made an awful lot of them." Frankly, I've known a lot of common folk, or regular guys if you prefer, and almost all of them were a million times more admirable than, in my view, the utterly detestable Rocky Balboa. Come now, folks. Was I really the only guy watching those movies that pulled for ALL of his opponents to beat the stuffing out of him?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234