Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on COLOMBIANA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Members' Discussion of COLOMBIANA...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members' Discussion of COLOMBIANA...
    Posted: August 23 2011 at 9:41am
HERE's WHERE to LAND YER "BODY BLOWS" on 2011's ANSWER to CLEOPATRA SCHWARTZ...  

...and HERE's the LINK to READ WHAT YE OLDE HEAD RAZZBERRY SEZ ABOUT THIS FILM...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 11:17am
Looks like we have another promising star on the Hollywood star chart coming into 'Career Mis-Step sufferers/Destroyers' Anonymous...
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 11:17am
Seems to me this is more like a sequel to her 2010 film THE LOSERS. 

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

2011's ANSWER to CLEOPATRA SCHWARTZ...

You were comparing Saldana to Pam Grier and Halle Berry. You know she's not black, right?  

Personally, I don't like Luc Besson's style very much(I gave LEON THE PROFESSIONAL 6/10). But if he can make something good out of movies that clearly seem bad (like BANDIDAS which also got a 6), this may not be bad. Let's face it: whenever he writes and produces a movie and then hires unknown directors, it's so he can still have the creative control.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 1:44pm
Love the KFM reference -- All this movie would have to do is add in some Rex Kramer and a Fistful of Yen and it would be spot-on!. LOL

I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 6:04pm
With all due respect, Mister Vits, Saldana is Dominican Republican. Chances are she is of both Hispanic and African descent, as she has been interviewed by many magazines which cater to either one of those two ethnic groups. And lest we forget, Hollywood casts almost entirely based on appearance, so Saldana is almost always cast as an African-American due to her naturally dark skin. However, you should be happy to know that in this movie, she is playing a Latina who just happens to be dark skinned. But hey, why not compare her to Pam Grier or Halle Berry as a black action heroine? Berry is not 100% black either, don't you know? We live in a time where very few people are 100% one ethnicity any more and can be cast in different roles depending on their looks. I wouldn't complain about this, instead you should be glad that Hollywood is opening up to minorities, rather than turning their backs on them.  

Originally posted by Vits

You were comparing Saldana to Pam Grier and Halle Berry. You know she's not black, right?
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:36am
I thought people said that we should wait for lots of reviews to come up before we go giving something a Forum?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: That was a suggestion from another Forum member, not an official edict. And if I'm remembering correctly, it was partially aimed at "Member Started Forums," which often were started before any indicators of a film's quality were even available.  

In the case of this particular film, it has what we call a "RAZZIE® Pedigree" (meaning it was made by people with a past RAZZIE® track record) its basic concept seems  ripe for RAZZing, and early reviews have been 2-to-1 negative...  

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 10:54am
Why? Do you think that Don't Be Afraid of the Dark or Our Idiot Brother are more obvious Razzie-targets? I personally don't....

Originally posted by jesse685

I thought people said that we should wait for lots of reviews to come up before we go giving something a Forum?  

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 11:02am
Luc Besson has made very bad films in recent years, but somehow I can't completely hate him... Because I know that he still is a very talented filmmaker... I am really looking forward to The Lady (for which they recently released a teaser)... A biopic of Burmese democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi directed by Besson...

I think that it looks a lot better than that other upcoming biopic with "Lady" in the title...

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 11:37am
I think THE LADY will flop. Besson's fans want him doing action movies, so not seeing this will be their way of protesting. 

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

And lest we forget, Hollywood casts almost entirely based on appearance, so Saldana is almost always cast as an African-American due to her naturally dark skin. However, you should be happy to know that in this movie, she is playing a Latina who just happens to be dark skinned. But hey, why not compare her to Pam Grier or Halle Berry as a black action heroine? Berry is not 100% black either, don't you know? We live in a time where very few people are 100% one ethnicity any more and can be cast in different roles depending on their looks. I wouldn't complain about this, instead you should be glad that Hollywood is opening up to minorities, rather than turning their backs on them.

Not quite.

I do support that someone can play a character of a different race or country if they look like they can pull it off. My problem is, just like you said, audiences can't tell them appart sometimes. Which is why I didn't know Berry wasn't 100% black until you said it.

People protested against the casting in MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. I didn't because to me, it's true that Asians look like Asians. But I don't know which of those actors were Japanese or Chinese. 

I don't have the exact numbers, but at least half of us latinos are white. I have no problem with a latina playing a black girl, which is what Saldahna usually does, but I have a problem when people assume all latinos have dark skin.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2011 at 12:17pm
The main difference with that GEISHA movie is the history between China and Japan, who have HATED each other for ages We here in North and South America may not care, but it was a big insult to people in China and Japan for Chinese actors and actresses to be playing Japanese roles.  

As for people thinking all Latinos are dark skinned, well, in America, we have Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans living among us and like or not ... nearly all of them have dark skin. I don't mean that as a racist remark, but when 90% of Latinos in America are dark skinned, Americans are going to naturally assume that all Latinos, regardless of country of origin, are dark skinned. AND, if you cast light skinned Latinos too often, then the dark skinned Latino community complains about it. So you can't please everyone all the time.  

"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 7:46am
I'm aware of that. When I was in the U.S., I had to convince people I was white. One time someone asked me if I was from Turkey.

I don't mean that as a racist remark, but when 90% of Latinos in America are dark skinned, Americans are going to naturally assume that all Latinos, regardless of country of origin, are dark skinned.

I'm just saying there things that can prevent those thoughts, and latinos playing black all the time doesn't help.

AND, if you cast light skinned Latinos too often, then the dark skinned Latino community complains about it.

Really? When has someone complained about that?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 11:15am
Again, it's within the Hispanic community, so usually in magazines like "Latina," and in/on blogs. 

Originally posted by Vits

AND, if you cast light skinned Latinos too often, then the dark skinned Latino community complains about it.

Really? When has someone complained about that?

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 1:35pm
The only Luc Besson movie that I thought was good was The Professional.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 3:28pm
What about "La Femme Nikita"? It's made quite the impact, considering it's been remade three times, as a movie and twice as a TV series...   

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

The only Luc Besson movie that I thought was good was The Professional.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 9:12pm
I've seen La Femme Nikita and I stand by my statement. I, also, include movies he produced too*.

*I know he produced Taken, but that wasn't very good quality-wise; it's more of a guilty pleasure. It was fun to watch Liam Neeson do horrible things to horrible people who did horrible things to his daughter, but not satisfying artistically.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 3:04am
Only 19 reviews and 10 are Fresh, which means the rotten reviews have been outnumbered but still reads at 53%.
"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>