Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > DEVIL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So Satan Walks into This Elevator...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Satan Walks into This Elevator...
    Posted: July 30 2011 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Vits

1. Although not explained in the movie,it's obvious.People die every day in any country,but not at the same time.And they're not all evil souls.In the universe of the movie,the devil goes after those souls one by one,or in this case,a group of them.

2. That's your opinion.Everyone has different views on what how they want to feel after watching a movie.And not all of his movies have happy endings.

3. Wow!I thought you were just really against people with bad taste in movies,but that was just pretentious.And this is coming from someone living in a country where people hate it for being called "football" while the real one is called "soccer".

4. People keep saying that.Why?During the characters's confrontations,they all seem equally dangerous,even the old lady.
1. My point was wouldn't the Devil have more likely targets to go after, like Wall Street people? It's not so much the people dying, as it is for Satan to convince them to give him their souls in exchange for something they want (Wall Street employees being a perfect example of such people).

2. Again, it's called a THRILLER. You don't leave feeling all happy go-lucky; that's what rom-coms are for. Thrillers are suppose to fill you with dread, not hope.

3. Frankly, I don't give a flying f*** about football, American version or otherwise. So-called sports "heroes" are overglorifed anyway, and many of them turn out to be criminals. Sport fans only like them because they live the lifestyle they want: a metric-f*** ton of money, a parking lot worth of cars, VIP access to any party, and all the groupies and models they can f*** at a moment's notice.

4. Um, because you can see it coming a mile away. In movies with a twist, it's always has to be the person you will least expect. Hell, if there was a little 4 or 5 year old girl in a little pink dress among that group, chances are she would be the Devil! That's how "what a twist!" works.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 8:03am
1)Who says he/she/it won't go after them?According to the movie,what happened was an event that happens everyday with bad souls.We were just shown a group of random people.Besides,had them been those people,it would've been a satire,and that doesn't really fit with this type of movies.
2)You admitted before that you didn't pay much attention.Btu if you think the movie ended happ-go-lucky,you didn't watch it.
3)I don't care about either football either.But you talk about it like it's bad because you don't like it.But go ahead.Keep "shooting yourself in the foot"LOL.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Vits

1)Who says he/she/it won't go after them?According to the movie,what happened was an event that happens everyday with bad souls.We were just shown a group of random people.Besides,had them been those people,it would've been a satire,and that doesn't really fit with this type of movies.
2)You admitted before that you didn't pay much attention.Btu if you think the movie ended happ-go-lucky,you didn't watch it.
3)I don't care about either football either.But you talk about it like it's bad because you don't like it.But go ahead.Keep "shooting yourself in the foot"LOL.

1. As I said a million times, this movie was a retarded concept of trying to mash-up two older than dirt plot gimmicks, much like how people say "Cowboys & Aliens" is a dumb mash-up to get two concepts together in the same movie to sell to two audiences. "Devil" was just doomed to fail.

2. My friend rented it recently. Still doesn't change the fact that thrillers should end on a wholly depressing note, which is what their tone should be.

3. I'm not saying football is bad because I don't like it, I'm just saying the people who play it professionally are not always the kind of people you should be looking up to. Kinda like how M. Night is not a writer/director you should be backing after the last four movies he has been attached to.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 12:23pm
"DEVIL,ARE YOU GOING UP OR DOWN?" "WHAT DO YOU THINK?"(***/*****):

So what is the problem with this movie?It breaks a rule.Let's say you make a movie where a man is in love with 2 women.The audience will know the possible outcomes(he chooses one,both or neither).You can't make a movie where the premise gives you the outcomes,like here.Somebody will eventually figure out the ending.Not to mention people will think too much about it the entire movie instead of enjoying it,specially where they tell there's gonna be a twist ending no matter what.

I didn't judge the twist at all.If there's anything we learned from M. Night Shyamalan is that twists can be so overrated to the point they're considered the most important part of the movie,specially twist endings.Actually,it was kind of good for him to give away that there was gonna be a twist.A lot of people hate them because they feel cheated.By the way,I feel I should point out something unfair.Had this movie been bad,people would've said his career bombed,but if it had been good,people would've said the director should take credit.

Speaking of him,by the Rule Of 3,it's fair to judge John Erick Dowdle.His 3 movies have been average for different reasons,but they all scare you.Here,it'll be mostly cheap thrills.It doesn't get truly suspenseful until the last part.But it's worth it.Not to mention how hard it is to make a story interesting in such a confined space.Although I'm not saying he's in the same level as Danny Boyle in 127 HOURS(this one doesn't take place almost entirely in the elevator).

As for the story,is not different from the others that come "from the mind of Shyamalan".Writer Brian Nelson dismisses a lot of the usual melodrama,but he keeps the episodic feel suited for a series and he increases it,making this movie forgettable.And the performances are suited for TV movies.Not because the actors aren't famous,but because they're weak(in particular,Bokeem Woodbine is very over the top).This will be the first of a trilogy where supernatural elements appear in modern day,and because the stories will be unrelated,it will make them all equally episodic.Is Shyamalan aware his movies are compared to episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE?

Although the events of the ending are unsatisfying,the ending as a whole is good.It pushes the right buttons to make you emotional,and when the credits start rolling with that creepy music,you realize your heart had been beating fast for several minutes,and it will continue for some more.Guess which is the only other movie in history that left me with that strange yet nice mix of emotions.THE 6TH SENSE.

Grades:C in the U.S. and 5,0 in Chile.
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Still doesn't change the fact that thrillers should end on a wholly depressing note, which is what their tone should be.
The tone of the movie was suspenseful,which is how a thriller should be.How a movie ends,or with what it leaves you,it's up to the viewer.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789