Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > DEATH AT a FUNERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Taking the "FUN" Out of FUNERAL?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking the "FUN" Out of FUNERAL?!?!?
    Posted: August 06 2010 at 2:04pm
It does have a lot of comedy material from the original. I've heard it is almost a shot-by-shot remake. Anyway,it's about the context,and apparently, the actors suck at saying their lines, and the director sucks at creating a dark comedic effect. 

By the way,I gave the original one 80%.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2010 at 4:36pm
Need I further point out that this is why the world doesn't need remakes? Let alone ones based on movies from just 3 years ago!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 1:54pm
I just saw it and gave it 5/10.Review coming tomorrow.
Originally posted by Vits

By the way,I gave the original one 80%.
After a re-watch,I give it 9/10.The comedy is just too good it takes my mind off the plot holes.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 4:41pm
CAN A "FUNERAL" BE FUNNY?YOU KNOW,"DEATH" AND PEOPLE ON DRUGS ASIDE?(***/*****):

It would be pointless to discuss when remakes are needed,or if they're needed at all,but the bottom line is that we have a remake on our hands.I have to say that,since I loved the original version,I knew this remake couldn't improve it.But it didn't ruined it.

When you get you a remake with the same writer from the original that copies and pastes the script,one of the actors from the original,and the director copies and pastes the shots,the only thing to do is rely on how the cast performs,and a lot of times they're funny enough to save the whole thing.

So what is the problem with this movie?I kind of say it above.It's not overall hilarious,and because of the very few differences I don't even think "remake" is the right word.

What kept the original from being perfect was the big number of plot holes.As a remake this could've solved them and add something good,but it keeps the same plot holes plus a few more.

In this cases we feel like we have to compare American comedy with British comedy.But we can't do it here because this movie,despite being funny at times,doesn't represent how American comedy truly is.It doesn't even represent how modern American comedy is.

It's good to encourage actors to play characters they usually wouldn't because typecasting is a bad thing.But come on!Talk about miscasting!I can buy Zoe Saldana as a black woman,but not Tracy Morgan as a fat guy when he's barely chubby.And who's idea was to have him play a neurotic,Chris Rock play a straight face,Danny Glover play a grumpy old man,and Luke Wilson play a sleazebag?!

Grades: C- in the U.S. and 4,5 in Chile.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 4:54pm

I can buy Zoe Saldana as a black woman.
I can agree with you about all the other miscastings, but Zoe Saldana always plays black women ... except when she plays a blue cat-like alien. 
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 6:06pm
That's why I can still buy it.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 8:54pm

That's why I can still buy it.
Not to mention she's Dominican, and mixed Latin and African ethnicities are the norm in that country. She may have the Hispanic name and light accent, but in the end, her dark skin gets her the roles she has been in.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123